5 Ways to Get a Free Airplane Seat
1. Check in early: Keep the worm — what the early bird really wants is the best seat!
2. Fly Southwest: Southwest is famous for two big things: not charging for your first couple of checked bags and not playing seat referee.
3. Join loyalty programs: Many airlines have programs designed to make you consistently book with them so you can rack up perks and points toward free travel.
4. Take less crowded flights: Red-eye and midday departures are often seen as inconvenient so some people avoid them even when they may be the cheaper option.
5. Flying with kids? Just ask: Children who are age 13 or younger are seated next to an accompanying adult with no additional charge.”