10 Best Underwater Movies
1. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004): Wes Anderson’s visually stunning ode to Jacques Cousteau may not take place entirely underwater.
2. Last Breath (2019)Deep sea diver Chris Lemons is stranded at the bottom of the pitch-black North Sea with only a few minutes of oxygen.
3. Black Sea (2014)Jude Law’s at the top of his game as a rogue submarine captain who goes out in search of a ship at the bottom of the Black Sea.
4. The Poseidon Adventure (1972)A group of passengers fight to stay alive after their cruise ship is flipped upside down by a massive tidal wave.
5. Luca (2021)Set in a stunning seaside town (both above and underwater) along the Italian Riviera.
6. Open Water (2003)Technically it takes place just above the surface of the water, but it’s what lurks beneath that instills a visceral sense of dread in the audience.
7. The Little Mermaid (1989)A mermaid princess who strikes a bargain with the evil sea witch Ursula in order to live on land like a normal human.
8. The Hunt for Red October (1990)Sean Connery stars in this Tom Clancy adaptation as a Soviet submarine captain who disobeys orders and sets his sights on the U.S.
9. Finding Nemo (2003)The bright and vibrant world just beneath the surface of the water comes to life in this classic Pixar film.
10. Das Boot (1981)Wolfgang Petersen wrote and directed this epic World War II film about a German U-boat patrolling the Atlantic Ocean.