Android is an operating system developed by Google. It is modified version of Linux kernel and other open source software. Today android used in many electronic devices like touchscreen mobile, tablets, android TV, Android Auto for cars, and Android watches, each with a specialized user interface. Android are also used on game, digital cameras other electronics.
- Messaging: Android provides the Android Push Messaging services whcih inclides SMS, MMS, threaded text messaging, Android Cloud To Device Messaging (C2DM) and Android Google Cloud Messaging (GCM).
- Auto Correction and Dictionary: Android Operating System provides the Auto Correction feature. When any word is misspelled, then Android recommends the meaningful and correct words matching the words that are available in Dictionary. Users can add, edit and remove words from Dictionary as per their wish.
- Voice-based: Android provides the voice actions for calling, texting, navigation, etc.
Multi-touch: Android provides the native support for multi-touch. It was initially made available in handsets such as the HTC Hero. The feature was originally disabled at the kernel level. Google has since released an update for the Nexus One and the Motorola Droid which enables multi-touch natively.
- Multitasking: Android provides the multitasking of applications with unique handling of memory allocation.
- Screen capture: Android provides the facility of capturing a screenshot by pressing the power and home-screen buttons at the same time.
- TV recording: Android TV provides the facility of capturing video and replaying it.
- Video calling: Android does not support native video calling but some handsets have a customized version of the operating system that supports it, either via the UMTS network or over IP. Video calling is available through Google Talk, Skype etc.
- Multiple language support: Android supports multiple languages.
- Connectivity: Android supports connectivity through technologies like GSM/EDGE, Bluetooth, LTE, CDMA, EV-DO, UMTS, NFC, IDEN and WiMAX.
- Bluetooth: Android supports bluetooth for voice dialing and sending contacts between phones, playing music, sending files (OPP), accessing the phone book (PBAP), A2DP and AVRCP.
- Streaming media support: Android supports the RTP/RTSP streaming 3GPP PSS, ISMA), HTML progressive download (HTML5 video tag). Adobe Flash Streaming (RTMP) and HTTP Dynamic Streaming are supported by the Flash plugin.
- Media support: Android supports the WebM, H.263, H.264, AAC, HE-AAC (in 3GP or MP4 container), MPEG-4 SP, AMR, AMR-WB (in 3GP container), MP3, MIDI, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, WAV, JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP, and WebP.
- Storage: Android used SQLite for data storage purposes. It is a lightweight relational database.
- Native Apps: Android apps are also written in HTML.